Here is great insite from Marketing Guru James Roche…we have to get our message down before we get the tools down. How many of you can relate to this…I know I can!
One thing I see over and over is entrepreneurs making their lives and businesses WAY TOO COMPLICATED! Here’s what I see happening… People get caught up in the marketing TOOLS and forget that it’s the HUMAN CONNECTION that makes a sale. Think about it. Do you know of a business friend who rushed out and bought the latest and greatest marketing tool over the years? The “logic” goes something like this…
2008 – 2010 ~~
* “Once I get FaceBook figured out, THEN I’ll start attracting more clients!”
* “I’ve got to get on Twitter! It’s THE thing that will get my name out there!”
* “I’ve got to make videos – lots of them! Because THEN I’ll be successful.”
2006 – 2008 ~~
* “I need a blog! Oh my God! I need a blog!”
* “I have to figure out how to do Teleclasses because then I’ll be RICH!”
* “I’m not speaking in public! AGH! I’m leaving money on the table!”
2004 – 2006 ~~
* “No, but seriously – Google AdWords are THE ticket to making it online.”
* “Holy crap! I can’t just be online! I need to go offline and do direct mail. Postcards are where it’s at!”
2000 – 2004 ~~
* “Website? What’s a website? I don’t know…but it’s THE thing that I’m SURE will make me rich!”
RIGHT!? Isn’t this EXACTLY how it is? It’s crazy. And guess what? In 2010 – 2011 there’s going to be more “Magic Bullets” you just “have to have” in order to succeed. Here’s my point… It’s NOT the tools that make you successful – it’s your ability to connect with another human being. The tools are just the means – the vehicle – to reach out and touch people with your special message. The tools themselves are worthless. It’s your message – your HOOK – that makes any and all these marketing tools work. Before you go rushing off to buy the latest marketing widget, doesn’t it make sense to FIRST get clear on what your marketing message is? Before you spend more time trying to figure out how to work WordPress or teleclass conference lines or your video camera, doesn’t it make sense to FIRST figure out what you need to SAY!?