Lyric’s Marketing Tip #7: There is a Hub in the Marketing Wheel, are YOU Ready?February 13, 2013
Lyric’s Marketing Tip #8: Smile for the CameraFebruary 20, 2013
Love is on everyone’s minds today, I have been enjoying the posts on Facebook about love and relationships, some funny, some ridiculous. Makes me think about the ideas that some people have about how to conduct their marketing! I posted on FB today a quote about how Social Media and/or any good marketing, like love, takes time, attention and consistency! In this month’s article I will share a Quick Start Guide – 10 Simple Steps to Social Media Success from Eric’s book “The Real Truth About Social Media“. He and I share the same philosophy about marketing – it needs to be authentic and compelling!
Love and Peace! (oh, and be sure to check out and LIKE Lyric’s new Facebook page!)
- Identify Your TARGETS. These should relate to your key business objectives. Be as specific and quantitative as possible (e.g. “100 new engaged Twitter followers a week,” “$5,000/month in new online sales,” etc.)
- Emotionalize Your BRAND. This is what makes your business venture so special/unique/worthy of advocacy. It should be a few sentences and should resonate with your target demographics, so that they are inspired to share it with others. Remember, hit people with your features and benefits, and you win their minds. Infuse them with your cause or your mission, and you win their hearts.
- Identify Your AUDIENCE. Be as specific as possible relative to psychographics and demographics. Spend some time listening to what people are saying about you online. The simplest way to do this is to Google your company or use the native platforms on social media like search.twttier.com or the search features on Facebook, LinkedIN and YouTube.
- Optimize Your WEBSITE/BLOG. Your website is your primary destination for consumer call to action. It should be simply and elegantly designed around the one thing you want your visitors to do. Make sure you’ve installed Google Analytics tracking code to your website (visit: www.google.com/analytics [http:// www.google.com/analytics] for more information), and study your visitor behavior. Then, start making improvements to your site around what you’re seeing in the data.
- Establish Your SOCIAL OUTPOSTS. Set up accounts on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIN. Once you’ve done that, download Hootsuite (www.hootsuite.com) and you can monitor yourbrand, listen to relevant conversations, engage your communities and update your social platforms all from one simple dashboard.
- Engage EMAIL MARKETING. There are hundreds of millions of people who don’t like social media, but almost everyone uses email. Email marketing ranks high in terms of conversion. Con- stant Contact and VerticalResponse are two excellent services that can get you up and running in no time. Make sure to integrate your social media with your email marketing and invite people to the party, e.g.: “Engage with us on Twitter for real-time customer service.” “Get exclusive deals on our Facebook page.”
- Establish a TRADITIONAL MEDIA PLAN. If you play your cards right, the mainstream media will cover your story. Create something buzzworthy about your business. Do something crea- tive and unique. Then reach out to local newspapers, television and radio and tell them why their viewers would love to learn about your business. (Not why you deserve to be on TV, but why their viewers would love the story. Big difference.)
- Start a SEO PROGRAM. You want to optimize your website and blog content for your desired keywords, so that when people type in: “best darn left-handed scissors” into Google, Bing and Yahoo, your left-handed scissor website shows up. Spend some time learning more about “Search Engine Optimization.” Now, I don’t think you’re a dummy (heck, you bought this book; you’re brilliant!), but an excellent resource for SEO is: Search Engine Optimization For Dummies (For Dummies, 2010).
- Measure Your RESULTS. Google Analytics is an industry-leading analytics program and it is easy to sign up and install into your website and blog.
- Continually HONE AND REFINE Your Campaigns. The best results come from letting the data drive decisions. If a certain platform is generating results, channel time and resources to that platform.
Eric Harr is the Founder & President of Resonate Social Media, a leading, integrated social media agency in San Francisco. He is the award-winning host of “Your Social Media Minute” on CBS News. And, he is the best-selling author of the new book “The REAL TRUTH About Social Media: 8 Timeless Truths Uncovered & 8 Monumental Myths Revealed” available now on Amazon.com.